Subject to GMC approval, the RCOG is launching a new O&G curriculum in 2019. All trainees and educational supervisors will have transferred on to the new ePortfolio and curriculum by 31 October 2019. The content in this resource relates to the old O&G curriculum and is currently in the process of being updated. For more information on the new curriculum, please see our Curriculum 2019 online resource.
Workplace-based assessment (WPBA) tools allow trainers to:
- provide formal feedback documentation to trainees
- assess competences associated with the training progression of a trainee.
Since their initial introduction in 2007, the way in which these tools are used has evolved over time, resulting in the need to now make some small amendments to their format.
From August 2014, the WPBA tools used in core training, subspecialty training and ATSMs changed in relation to how they are approached and categorised.
The purpose of this tutorial is to guide both trainers and trainees through the changes, why they were introduced, and the impact they have had on core and advanced training. The tutorial should take approximately 45-60 minutes for you to complete. It has been designed so that you can dip in and out of each section, depending on your time constraints.
There is a self-assessment exercise at the end of the tutorial so you can test your knowledge. Upon completion of the resource, you will be able to print a certificate that can be used to claim 2 CPD points for taking part in this activity (you will need to be logged in to your StratOG account when completing the tutorial in order to do this).
When you have completed this tutorial, you will be able to:
- understand the new categorising of WPBAs (effective from August 2014)
- appreciate how the changes have improved the provision of WPBA
- understand the documentation to support these improvements
- understand what information from each encounter will be recorded and the impact this will have on progress within specialty training.
Last updated July 2016.