- Ideally, women are over 45 years of age with regular heavy periods necessitating treatment.
- Medical treatment is not beneficial or associated with unacceptable adverse effects.
- Large uterus (>12 weeks in size) or large uterine cavity (>12 cm in length) – in these cases endometrial ablation can be done but the results are less likely to be satisfactory.
- Large submucous fibroid (>2 cm in diameter).
- Non-benign endometrial pathology.
- Cervical cancer.
- Current pelvic infection.
- Hysterectomy is required for another condition.
- Desire to preserve fertility.