NovaSure® uses radiofrequency impedance-based bipolar energy to vaporise the endometrium, which is delivered through a gold-plated mesh mounted on a flexible frame that conforms to the shape of the uterine cavity. Regular cavities between 4 cm–6.5 cm, with a total sound length of up to 12 cm, can be treated with this device provided that the width of the uterine cavity is more than 2.5 cm.
The main advantages of the Novasure system are:
- speed: treatment time within 2 minutes
- safety: cavity integrity is checked by CO2 before commencing the treatment cycle
- offers customised treatment: the power used and duration of treatment calculated automatically by the generator according to the measurement of the uterine cavity and the tissue impedance
- no uterine distension so less pain
- it is automated and not dependant on the operator
- No endometrial priming is rquired prior to the procedure
- The Novasure Advanced is only 6mm in diameter requiring less dilatation, particularly useful in the outpatient setting.
- 1 year amenorrhoea rate 36%.
- the probe is not very flexible which can cause technical difficulties in acute anteverted or retroverted uteruses.
A demonstration video for the procedure is available here.