Welcome to the RCOG eLearning Workplace Behaviour and Skills tutorial on Human factors.
When you have completed this tutorial you will be able to:
- describe how latent and active failures within the healthcare system impact on patient safety (Reason’s model)
- describe your own personality type and use this to help you prepare to teach human factors concepts to others
- deliver simulation and debrief in human factors and non-technical skills
- apply techniques to maintain situational awareness
- communicate effectively as part of the multidisciplinary team
- describe methods of appropriate graded assertiveness when a patient safety issue has been identified
- describe unconscious and cognitive biases that affect human performance
- recognise effective multidisciplinary teamwork and the use of shared mental models
- demonstrate knowledge and effects of human error and violation on patient safety outcomes
- demonstrate insight and understanding into the psychological theories on how we make decisions under pressure.