Welcome to the RCOG eLearning Core Knowledge tutorial on Ethical and legal issues.
When you have completed this tutorial, you will be able to:
- describe the principles and legal issues surrounding informed consent
- seek valid consent from patients and know how to deal with under 16s and vulnerable adults
- recognise the importance of maintaining confidentiality and when it can be broken
- recall the Sexual Offences Act (and its equivalent in Scotland) and know when to involve social services and the police
- complete a death certificate and know when to refer to the coroner or the procurator fiscal
- discuss the abortion certificates for England and Scotland and the legal issues affecting individuals who will not participate in abortion services for moral and religious reasons
- recognise the importance of the NHS insurance criteria in all the different countries in the UK
- describe the duty care of a doctor outlined by the Francis report, 2013
- explain the four principle approaches to medical ethics and the ethics associated with assisted conception and fertility.