Welcome to the RCOG eLearning Core Knowledge tutorial on Abnormal uterine bleeding.
By the end of this tutorial, you will be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of AUB terminology and the FIGO classification system (PALM-COEIN) for causes of AUB and understand the risks and benefits of treatment options
- identify ‘red flag’ features requiring secondary care referral
- describe the principles of uterine and endometrial assessment using pelvic ultrasound, endometrial biopsy and hysteroscopy and identify the indications for using other imaging modalities in selected groups
- interpret the hierarchical three-step treatment approach for HMB
- recognise the risks and benefits of: operative hysteroscopic procedures, endometrial ablation, uterine artery embolisation and MRI-guided focused ultrasound ablation
- counsel women on treatment options explaining the nature, risks and benefits of medical and surgical treatments
- recognise the need for appropriate referral for more complex cases for detailed evaluation
- use appropriate referral pathways and local protocols if AUB or abnormal findings are identified.