Causative organisms for sepsis in obstetrics and gynaecology
You can access the Septic shock tutorial for just £40.00 . UK prices shown, other nationalities may qualify for reduced prices. If this tutorial is part of the member benefit package, Fellows, Members, registered Trainees and Associates should sign in to access the tutorial. Non-members can purchase access to tutorials but also need to sign in first. New users can register here.
When you have completed this tutorial you will be able to:
- understand the pathophysiological changes caused by sepsis
- understand the common causes of sepsis and organisms involved in obstetrics and gynaecology
- identify signs and symptoms of the sepsis spectrum based on pathophysiological changes, and to differentiate from the diseases mimicking the clinical picture
- recognise progression of infection towards severe sepsis and septic shock through available tools, such as the modified early obstetric warning systems (MEOWS), and instigate preventative measures
- lead resuscitation for patients with septic shock, including fluid therapy and other hemodynamic support
- start appropriate management in line with international guidelines for treating severe sepsis and septic shock including antibiotics and a review of the evidence base
- understand the role of multidisciplinary team working and effective communication to optimise the patient outcome.