Conditions where ventouse would be preferred over forceps
- Urgent low lift-out delivery with no previous analgesia
- Rotational delivery
- Operator or maternal preference, when either instrument would be suitable.
Conditions where forceps would be preferred to ventouse
- Poor maternal effort
- Operator or maternal preference, when either instrument would be suitable
- Large amount of caput
- Gestation of less than 34 weeks (at 34–36 weeks of gestation, ventouse is relatively contraindicated)
- Marked active bleeding from a fetal blood-sampling site
- After-coming head of the breech
- Face presentation.