This ST3 trainee is undergoing an ARCP at the end of their training year. They are moving to a smaller District General Hospital next month. Their last ARCP was 12 months ago when an Outcome 1 was given.
Evidence provided to the ARCP panel
- After checking the linked evidence on the generic and non-clinical specialty specific CiPs, the ES has agreed with the trainee’s self-assessment that they are meeting the standards for the year of training in all these CiPs.
- The ES has signed off clinical CiP 11 (Non-emergency gynaecology and early pregnancy) and CiP 12 (Non-emergency obstetrics) as level 2 (can act under direct supervision), agreeing with the trainee self-assessment.
- The ES has signed off clinical CiP 9 (Emergency gynaecology and early pregnancy) and CiP 10 (Emergency obstetrics) as level 3 agreeing with the trainee self-assessment as level 3 (can act under indirect supervision).
- There are supportive but brief comments from the ES regarding these judgements.
- The ARCP panel find reasonable quality linked evidence including WBAs, a labour ward NOTSS, reflections, and surgical logs for CiPs 10, 11 and 12.
- Three basic ultrasound competent summative OSATS have been completed for early and late pregnancy, and 3 manual removal of the placenta competent summative OSATS.
- However there is a lack of good quality evidence for CiP 9 (Emergency gynaecology and early pregnancy). The trainee attended deanery teaching on ectopic pregnancy and completed an RCOG eLearning module on ovarian cyst accidents and early pregnancy loss but has not provided any WBAs.
- The TO2 from the early pregnancy unit mentions they rarely see ST3s on call as they are usually busy on the labour ward so they contact the senior Specialist Registrar.
- There are no formative OSATS for operative laparoscopy.