In an emergency situation where a woman is very unwell and needs to be admitted for PID treatment, it is easy to overlook the vital communication points.
Counselling is crucial with PID to explain the diagnosis, aetiology, treatment compliance and contact tracing.
- 14 days treatment
- Partner must be screened and treated: 80% of partners of women with PID will have findings suggestive of urethritis, and the majority will be asymptomatic
- No sexual intercourse until both have completed treatment
- Follow-up is important for swab results, check compliance and improvement
- Full STI screen recommended – including HIV, hepatitis B and C
- Further contact tracing (other sexual partners in the last few months)
- Written information to back up the consultation.