- duration, frequency and amount of bleeding
- menstrual history, including normal bleeding pattern and last menstrual period
- possibility of pregnancy
- relationship of the non-menstrual bleeding to normal menstruation and sexual intercourse
- exogenous hormone therapy, that is, the use of oral or transdermal contraceptives, an intrauterine system or long-acting progestogen contraception
- nature and quantity of any associated vaginal discharge and any recent changes to this symptom, or any recent partner change
- possibility of a bleeding disorder
- any trauma to the genital tract.
Management of nonmenstrual bleeding depends on the cause and is referred to in the relevant StratOG tutorials.