- Ectopic pregnancy is an important cause of abdominal pain which must be ruled out in women of childbearing age.
- A positive pregnancy test in the woman with abdominal pain does not exclude other gynaecological or surgical causes of pain and these must be considered as well.
- Good peri-operative management of the woman is vital to maximise patient care.
- It may be necessary to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team in the management of women with the acute abdomen especially in pregnancy.
- Laparoscopic surgery in the pregnant woman should be utilised where required.