Obtaining informed consent from the under 16s
You can access the Ethical and legal issues tutorial for just £40.00 . UK prices shown, other nationalities may qualify for reduced prices. If this tutorial is part of the member benefit package, Fellows, Members, registered Trainees and Associates should sign in to access the tutorial. Non-members can purchase access to tutorials but also need to sign in first. New users can register here.
When you have completed this tutorial, you will be able to:
- describe the principles and legal issues surrounding informed consent
- seek valid consent from patients and know how to deal with under 16s and vulnerable adults
- recognise the importance of maintaining confidentiality and when it can be broken
- recall the Sexual Offences Act (and its equivalent in Scotland) and know when to involve social services and the police
- complete a death certificate and know when to refer to the coroner or the procurator fiscal
- discuss the abortion certificates for England and Scotland and the legal issues affecting individuals who will not participate in abortion services for moral and religious reasons
- recognise the importance of the NHS insurance criteria in all the different countries in the UK
- describe the duty care of a doctor outlined by the Francis report, 2013
- explain the four principle approaches to medical ethics and the ethics associated with assisted conception and fertility.