This tutorial aims to provide an evidence-based practical guide for instrumental delivery. Interactive quizzes, case scenarios and videos are used throughout the resource to demonstrate best practice.
The tutorial has been developed for ST1–3 O&G trainees but may be relevant to other practitioners including maternity healthcare professionals involved in operative vaginal delivery during their basic training.
It is divided into 9 sections – each section can be accessed by clicking on the menu on the left-hand side.
Two CPD credits can be claimed in the personal/professional category under eLearning for completing this tutorial.
We are in the process of evaluating the BeST pilot programmes, and would like to collect feedback from trainees who have used it. We would be very grateful if you could complete the user survey at the end of this resource. Alternatively, please email us your comments.
When you have completed this tutorial you will be able to:
- describe the history and background of operative vaginal delivery
- identify the indications and criteria for instrumental delivery
- assess a patient for operative vaginal delivery and obtain valid consent
- choose the most appropriate type of instrument for operative vaginal delivery
- describe how to perform operative vaginal delivery
- recognise the complications of operative vaginal delivery.
Last updated May 2016.