The baby should be assessed for trauma. Consider a neonatology review if you have any concerns.
Babies are commonly born with bruising or grazes to their scalp or faces following instrumental delivery. These quickly resolve over a few days and reassurance should be given to the baby's parents.
Serious complications are less common.
However, they are associated with:
- duration of application of vacuum cup
- station of fetal head at start of the delivery
- difficulty delivering the head
- condition of the baby at the start of the procedure
- multiple instrument use
- failed instrumental delivery
- inexperienced operators.